If you make products "featured", WooCommerce has an option for you to display those featured products on your site. The featured products visibility is set using what is called "short code"
. This is quite common for WordPress and is a purposeful design as it gives the user a lot of control. However, it may seem a bit daunting until you are familiar with it.
: this document assumes you already have a list of featured products on your site and simply want to change the order of those products.
To rearrange the order of featured products:
1. Go to Pages -> All Pages
2. Hover over the page that has the featured products on them and then click on the "Yootheme Builder"
: any time a page has that option you need to use it, or the page will break!
3. Look on the left-hand side for a section called "Featured" and then click on the block labeled "Html":
The short code that is on that page probably looks something like this:
By default, products are arranged by the product title. To change that, we need to add parameters to the short code. The parameter we need to add is called, "orderby
– Sorts the products displayed by the entered option. One or more options can be passed by adding both slugs with a space between them. Available options are
date – The date the product was published.
id – The post ID of the product.
menu_order – The Menu Order, if set (lower numbers display first).
popularity – The number of purchases.
rand – Randomly order the products on page load (may not work with sites that use caching, as it could save a specific order).
rating – The average product rating.
title – The product title. This is the default
If we want to change the featured products to display in a random order, so it changes every time someone comes to the page, we will edit the short code to look like this:
[products visibility="featured" orderby="rand"]
4. Once you change the short code, you need to save it by pressing the "Save Layout" button at the top:
5. Click the "X" at the top left to exit Yootheme Builder
: to see all the options for the short codes, check out THIS DOCUMENT